Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Day 9 - Aswan 115 Km

Day nine- Aswan 115kms

Last day in Egypt and I am distraught. I will miss this beautiful country so much.

It is hard to imagine that this ride brings to a close such a long time in Egypt. Even though I hate to admit it Egypt has shaped me in some ways and it feels like the end of an era of living abroad as my final destination is home. I am leaving behind an environment that for me has been purposeful, interesting, intensely frustrating but also rewarding. I know I am ready to leave and this moment has been planned for a long time coming, but I would be remiss if I didn't classify it a little as bittersweet. However, I had one moment today in which. I felt INCREDIBLY ready to go...when my back wheel took a rather large rock to the spokes and started causing me trouble. In that moment you get intensely angry due to the threat to your safety, and the complete disregard for others. But I remind myself that I come from a culture that places a values human life and safeguards it quite differently to the one I am cycling through. Other than the emotional tole of the day, it was a fairly easy riding day. My body has adjusted to the increase of activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment